Monday, October 8, 2007

Being Myself

Am I dull or dynamic? I listened eagerly to learn how to be a more dynamic speaker. The first tip--be myself and show my audience why I care about what I'm talking about. I can do that. The ICMA University Forum on Persuasion and Influence by Drs. Susan and Peter Glaser was a lot of researched-based practical tips on public speaking. I love that combination--research-based AND practical. I wish more workshops were like that. I can only stand so many case studies.

Update on my not-so-impossible mission: I have been brave and I've reached out to a lot of people. I learned that taking a risk to be myself can pay off. I don't really like telling people I'm looking for a job but, as a result, I've learned that I'm not the only one that's ever had to deal with this. Several tips gleaned from my conversations: 1) it's normal for the process to have its ups and downs so be mentally prepared; 2) don't take what happens personally; 3) do my homework.

I am thankful for the many, many supportive people I have met.

Dawn

No comments: